September 22, 2010

A könyvek néma mesterek

For my Hungarian audience out there (and by that I mean Brooke haha), I went with a Hungarian proverb as my title for this post. I teach Multicultural Lit, and we start most classes with a cultural proverb. Students have to answer three questions about each proverb; What does this mean in your own words? What might it suggest about the culture from which it comes? and What other quotes/proverbs/situations can you connect to this proverb? Generally speaking, about half sit and stare at me in silence, but occasionally they are brilliant in the things that they say. Currently we are watching Roots, and it's interesting to see how they've changed since the beginning of the film when they would giggle at the name Kunta Kinte to now, when they get legitimately angry at the way Kunta and Fanta are treated. Maybe there is some hope for the future of America.

But back to the proverb. Translated, it means 'books are silent masters.' Which I love. I think the idea of books being a quiet background to changing the way people think and act is such a part of my personal ideology. Why read a book if it isn't going to change something about you, even if it's just changing your mood? Last night before going to sleep I reread a few David Sedaris stories. Did they change my life? No, but it did put me in a good mood before bed.

Just some thoughts for the day. I took a sick day to deal with some life stuff, but I feel kind of crappy, so it all works out. The list for the great experiment is at 52, but I'd like to have it to at least 60 so I can narrow it down. I've decided to begin with 100 Demons but I'm still searching for the book to end the project. I've already read The Little Prince, which at least 3 people have suggested.

Also wondering about short story and poetry collections. Can they go on the list, too?

5 comments:

  1. yayyy hungary.

    Might I suggest:
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
    and, I mean, you've read Gone With the Wind, right? if not, it's a must.

    if you're looking for a nonfiction book, The Devil in the White City is a great one that reads like fiction. Bryn used it in his Progressive Era class and I finally just finished it (3 years after the class was over) but it was worth it.
    love you! Mama Kae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have anything by Margaret Atwood in your collection? She could add an interesting twist. I totally concur on the "books being a quiet background" bit. I am a firm believer that if you don't like a book by the time you are half way through it, put it down. Pick up one that will alter your perceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever read Storm of the Century by Stephen King? It's long long long, but the story is...well... very Stephen King.
    I think it has an interesting message as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you slipped that last one in...I was starting to think there was NO Rand on the list! So how do you read your books...do you like the hardcovers, paperbacks, or have you bought an e-reader?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay yay yay, to quote Sally Field, "You like me! You really like me!" I find this a funny proverb for Hungarians to have considering that their literature is not stellar (in my humble opinion). Also, I own On the Road if you want to borrow it. It's a pretty cool copy I bought in Boston and is the original un-edited manuscript or something weird like that.

    ReplyDelete