November 24, 2010

Nem nem nem

Here I am, in Budapest... stuck in a room with nothing to do but read.  I suppose for the sake of this blogging project it's not the worst, but I am getting very much like the woman in the room with the yellow wallpaper.  I'm about to start pacing and wearing a hole into the flooring of Danny's room.

The trip over was just fine.  I finished The Picture of Dorian Gray, which reminded me very much of Edgar Allan Poe's short story "The Oval Portrait" (so much so that I often call Dorian the PORTRAIT instead of the picture... hmmm... subconscious?).  I love Poe and I love Wilde, so together it made for a lovely combination.  Currently reading The Handmaid's Tale, which I like, even though it is frustrating.  Dorian  was frustrating at times because Wilde loves to go on and on about Parisian things and fashion (sorry, Diana, not for me) but the premise was neat.  The Handmaid's Tale is frustrating in a literary sense because she slowly reveals things about this 'utopian' society, leaving me as a reader confused and needing to keep reading to put all the pieces together.  It's a good confused and frustrated!

Unlike sitting in this room.  I was supposed to go to the market with Brooke, but it's now 2 oclock and I have yet to hear from her.  Danny forgot he had class (or something, I don't quite get that) and is gone, so I asked his roommate to unlock the door for me (yes, I was locked in his flat.  Just another thing to make me start to go crazy) because I wanted to go walk around Oktogon by myself, since I am only in Budapest for today and tomorrow we go to Romania.  What I didn't realize is that the main door to their building locks, and since I am without keys, the code to get in the building, and a cell phone, I simply gave up and came back upstairs to sit in a room.  Again.  and since I don't know when we're getting back Saturday, but I know it will be late, and my flight Sunday morning leaves at 6:50am, I feel like I've wasted all of my time in the city.  Yesterday I was jetlagged and so my experience was slightly foggy, and today I've done nothing but shower and sit around. Yes, I did some homework and yes, I read, but I'm in Europe.

Why am I sitting in a room when I should be out exploring?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you got out. and seriously, if you go to the market - look for those keychains for me - we're all desperate for one. may as well bring back 4.
    have a blast, stay warm! love Mama Kae

    ReplyDelete