October 6, 2011

Gossamer (what a great adjective!)

Dear world, it's past October 1st.  The deadline for my project was October 1st, and although I'm disappointed I didn't make my goal, I am trying to be understanding with myself.  It's been a rough year, all things considered, and I accomplished a number of other things in that time frame.  Although I wish I could say I read a book-a-week, the truth is other things got in the way.  I won't make excuses for the time I spent watching Jersey Shore instead of reading (everyone needs a little trashy TV from time to time) but I will say I wish I'd buckled down a little bit more.  In honor of Diana (Check out her blog about living in Dijon here!), c'est la vie.  I think that's how it's spelled.

Last night I read Gossamer.  Seriously, the whole book in one hour, but it's a kids book, so I'm not sure that's really as impressive as it might seem at first glance.  It's a Lois Lowry book for my grad class, and although I loved The Giver and Number the Stars, I was less than impressed by this book.  I felt like it was too cliched and didn't hold the same power that her earlier books have.  Nevertheless, it was cute and a fast read.  But this post isn't about the book, per say, it's about how I came to have the book in my possession.

At the start of class our professor told us not to stress about purchasing books for the semester.  Instead she encouraged borrowing and library check-outs, even suggesting going to our local book stores and sitting down with a copy of a book and reading it (scandalous, I know).  I located most of the books through libraries and friends, and the fact that my mom works in an elementary school doesn't hurt, either.  So when I needed to read Gossamer for class today, I asked my mom about it.  It was a 5th grade Reading Olympics book, so she knew it was in the school library somewhere.  Well, time passed, and the new librarian at her school was over stressed, so finding the book became more of a last minute situation.  As of 11am yesterday, I still didn't have a copy of the book. I wasn't concerned with finishing it in time (I'm a speed reader extraordinaire) but just locating a copy in time.  I didn't want to buy the book, because I knew I'd never use it again, so I turned to the library.

The Bucks County Library system now offers e-books as a check-out option, so I decided to explore that option.  After a slight difficulty figuring out how to work the electronic books section (don't tease, I was confused!) I located a copy of the book and downloaded the book to my Kindle.  Well, I didn't download it to my Kindle, I downloaded it to the computer and then had to connect my Kindle with a USB and transfer the book to the Kindle.  Then I had to change my settings so the book would show up in my reading list.  Then I proceeded to look at other options for e-books from the local library.

Then I stopped myself.  What was I doing?  In previous posts, I've espoused on my feelings toward electronic books.  Remember that trip to the DMV? (Excuse me, the MVA.  I still hate you, MVA).  Stupid Kindle.  But I was desperate and needed a copy of that book.  I honestly was planning on swinging by the library, but the closest location was almost 30 minutes away, and I needed to get to work.  So I just found it online.

How lazy are we?  Are we getting to the point where we barely have to leave the house or interact with other humans to accomplish certain tasks?  We can order clothes, medication, house-hold items, even groceries online.  We have food delivered at all hours -- depending on where you live, of course -- and now we can even check out library books online and have them electronically delivered to our e-Readers.  Where do we go from here?  What happens to the printed word?

I'm a firm believer in the longevity of real books.  Regardless of technology changes, I truly feel that books in the printed form will always have a dedicated following.  Literature brings people together in ways that other forms of media cannot.  The simplicity of e-Books has a certain draw but for those of us who love the feel of a book in our hand, a Kindle doesn't bring that same sensation.

I found a website recently called Read the Printed Word (You can find the website here) and I've become a supporter.  Even though this blog is online, I hope that it encourages people to go out and read a book the way books were meant to be read -- as a complete sensory experience.  The feel of paper, the weight of the book in our hands, the smell of the pages, the history and story behind that publication.  It's all significant.

Until I'm in a time crunch and really need to get my homework done.  I guess we all have our faults.  Reading an e-book is only one of mine.  Jersey Shore is definitely another.

No comments:

Post a Comment