September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend: An exercise in working and drinking

I don't want to work today; I just want to write and blog and read f*cking Sophie's Choice.  (I sent that in a text to Anthony, then decided it was the best way to start the blog post because it's the truest line I can think of right now).

Yes, I am at work.  Probably shouldn't be on my computer working on this, but it's raining in town and pretty much dead, so I don't feel too bad.  I stocked a lot of wine and cleaned things and arranged Lolita glasses (thrilling) so now I'm just standing around trying to smile at the people passing by as encouragement to come in and try/buy wine.  Someone tried to offer me a sales job yesterday that paid commission, and I have to say I considered it for a hot minute, until I realized I'm still holding out for a teaching job.  Or a job at La Salle so I can get my masters for... uh... free.

I had my first graduate class on Thursday, and I must say I'm really excited to get back into a classroom, even if it's on the 'wrong' side of things.  We're reading most YA literature (check a previous post for the reading list) because the focus is on a blend of literary criticism and English classroom pedagogy.  For an upcoming class we picked schools of criticism that we will have to present to our classmates.  The professor challenged us to go outside of our normal realm of knowledge, so I of course picked something I don't really understand and haven't spent much time working with.  Post-Structuralism.

F*CK Post-Structuralism.  I broke down and googled the phrase (my Handbook of Literary Theory and Critical Approaches to Literature is so confusing, I had to try and find something more simple) which lead me to the OWL at Purdue (Side note: for any grammar, citation, writing need, the OWL at Purdue -- Online Writing Lab -- is the greatest website in the world.  Honestly).  Obviously I trust this website.  The page on Post-Structuralism starts with this: "Note: Structuralism, semiotics, and post-structuralism are some of the most complex literary theories to understand. Please be patient."

Oh, great, OWL is telling me to be patient?  I have no patience!  Anyway, I've been plowing my way through this convoluted and obtuse information and at the same time trying to read Sophie's Choice.  I didn't go down the shore this weekend at all, even though that was the plan for Saturday, and instead spent my weekend day-drinking (and night-drinking, who am I kidding) and working.  Like right now.  So no reading, except for literary theory, for me so far.  Hopefully today I can get a bit more read, considering the book is due back at the library on Wednesday and I've already renewed it once. 

I doubt anyone is jumping to check out Sophie's Choice (although I can't imagine why not; it's obviously the greatest book I've ever read) but where do I draw the line at renewing?  Does the library limit the amount of times I can re-check out a book?  How long before I simply throw up my hands and wave the white flag on this one?  The answer is NEVER.  Although there have been books in the past I haven't finished (several of them ended up on my reading list for this project, CATCH-22, you jerk) I really hate leaving them behind.  The project is forcing me to follow through on those types of books, and that's where Sophie and her goddamn choice comes in.

Even when I've hated certain books and series I have a hard time just putting them aside.  I read all 4 Twilight books even though every single one after the first was awful because I just hated the idea of not finishing such a short series.  I may have thrown the 4th book at a wall toward the end because, my GOD Stephanie Meyers, you fail as a plot driven author, but I did finish them.  If I can deal with horrendous "and it was all a dream" type endings, I think I can get through Sophie's Choice.

How many posts now has it been about that book? 

No comments:

Post a Comment