August 15, 2011

Bathtub Reading > Bathtub Gin

Honestly, have you ever had bathtub gin? I haven't, but I imagine it's not so great.  The idea of it actually makes me quite uncomfortable.  Bathtub reading, on the other hand, is one of my favorite ways to relax.  How many of us take a bath to actually get clean after the age of 6?  A shower is much easier.  After a bath, I generally turn the shower on to wash my hair and my body; at most, I'll use a bath to shave my legs, but to actually clean myself? No, thank you, but I think I'm good.

I like to use time in the bathtub to relax; some bubble bath, hot water, maybe a face mask to help with the insane break-outs I've been experiencing (adult acne is no myth -- and my stress levels over trying to find a job and pay for school and look for a place to live aren't helping, I'm sure), but my favorite bath-time activity has always been reading a book.  Sure, it's dangerous, but when I'm in the tub, it's generally because I want to relax and reading is -- depending on how hectic my life is -- a relaxing activity.  Reading in water is a relaxing activity, and I really wish they made (you heard it here first) waterproof e-reader covers, so I could lay on a raft in the ocean or pool and read a book.  The tub is nice, but being outside in the sun would make it so much better.

Side-note: I googled 'waterproof kindle covers' and found many.  
I guess I'm not all that original... and if you're looking for a gift to give me
(ANTHONY) that's something to look into.  I'm just saying...
This is the bathtub where I do my reading... the yellow color is not at ALL relaxing!

I find that the places I enjoy reading most are pretty standard; laying in bed before going to sleep, in a comfortable chair, on the beach, in the tub, really anywhere I can get comfortable for a lengthy period of time.  I also like to read during certain activities; traveling, especially in a car (I'm lucky I can read for a while without feeling car-sick), eating.  I also admit -- sorry, any family member reading... and sorry, boyfriend... and sorry, Fernando, who thinks girls don't poop or sweat -- that I'm guilty of reading in the bathroom.

Now before anyone gets grossed out or upset that they just read the above statement, let's think this through; how many people keep magazines/books/newspapers in the bathroom right next to the toilet?  Isn't that encouragement?  How many jokes do people make about doing 'quality reading' time in the bathroom?  As a society, it's almost a joke, but it's turning into something different.  Sure, bathroom reading is still acceptable, but now it's more about cell phones.  Honestly.  People bring a cell phone in the bathroom; just a few weeks ago I went to dinner with a friend (hi, Colleen) and inside the bathroom stall was an ad with a website link and a scan-box.  I honestly don't know what those things are called -- I'm obviously not up on my tech terms -- but it was clearly expecting people to be sitting on the toilet with phone in hand. What an interesting shift!

I'm still reading Sophie's Choice.  It's been slow so far, and it's not because I'm uninterested in the book.  The plot is interesting, but the style is just not for me.  I barely got through one chapter in the tub the other day, and last night only read about 25 pages.  I find it difficult to become engrossed in the story.  I'm not sure what it is about his style that makes it tricky, but it's not a book I can sit and read for hours and hours.  It's due back to the library on Wednesday, and I haven't even touched the other 3 books I checked out, so renewal is on my horizon.  I'm almost ashamed at how slow the process is going.

Once Sophie's Choice is finished, I'm going to watch the movie (my mother loves it) and then move on to Uglies, which is a Young Adult novel.  That should move quickly, and I'll feel a little better about my life.







No comments:

Post a Comment