July 18, 2011

Wine for Dummies: my 'light' summer reading

I've almost -- keyword being almost -- resigned myself to the fact that I may not get through all of my books before the year is up.  I'm almost -- again, I'm not sure how I feel about using that word -- okay with that, as long as I continue reading.  The reason I'm almost okay with it is because I've had to add additional books to my list for a variety of reasons.  Right now?  Wine for Dummies, from the lovely _________ for Dummies collection.  Whoever came up with that idea (and who was first?  _____ for Dummies or The Idiots Guide to _______?) is probably rolling in money at this point.
Anyway, I finally got a job.  No, it's not a teaching job.  But I got a job at a wine place in the area where I'll be selling wine (and other goodies) as well as doing tastings.  Now, if you knew me in college, you'll know that my wine experience is limited to boxed wine (tour de Franzia, anyone?) and Yellowtail (mmmm, Shiraz).  Apparently that's okay.  I've been tasting the wines, and I was given a homework assignment of sorts.  Reading!
I'm a nerd.  We all know this.  So I'm already on chapter 5 of the 21 chapter book, and the teacher in me is having a field-day.  I'm noticing all the non-fiction text features I've taught my students to recognize!  It's been a while since I've done the non-fiction thing, exceptions being, of course, memoirs and essays.  It's odd; I'm trying to finish The Watsons go to Birmingham:1963, but I think when I'm done with my wine education I'll go on to another non-fiction book, since I'll already be in the mindset.
I don't mind non-fiction, but I find I always feel like I should be taking notes or preparing for a quiz.  I find it difficult to escape the student/teacher inside my head as I'm reading, and I constantly find myself rereading and fact checking.  Not nearly as fun as reading a work of fiction.
I did learn about how wine bottles are labeled, though!  I think I'm a nerd...

No comments:

Post a Comment