July 26, 2011

I own too many books

That's a lie, clearly.  I could never own too many books, but it is overwhelming trying to move and unpack and find space for all of them.  I have several shelves and spaces for books in my room, and I still end up stacking them on top of one another and hoping that my reading pile next to my bed doesn't get too high.  I've often wondered what people would think if they could see my bookshelves.  What type of reader do I seem to be?  Am I a snob because I have one shelf for my Harry Potter books (all hardcover) and I keep my literary analysis and criticism books on a shelf?  Is it pretentious that I saved all my 'classics' from college -- with the exception, of course, of those few books I despised... and my Shakespeare collection, which was a pointless purchase because that class was a joke and you can find all of his plays in the full-text online (I can't lie, I sold it back mid-semester for alcohol money.  Sorry, mom).
I'm of the opinion that a bookshelf can tell you more about a person than a fingerprint.  No, I can't trace your identity back to your bookshelf, but the books a person owns -- and the way they are organized -- is a key way to a person's inner-self.  No bookshelf?  That can tell you something, too.  As I slowly unpack and organize my books, I'm realizing the way they are organized is important to me.  Although I'm slightly OCD in some ways -- my closet, for example, is organized by color.  My shirts hang white to black, my dresses and skirts and pants on the opposite side of the closet.  My make-up is organized inside the top drawer of my dresser.  My room, right now, is a disaster, but I feel like that comes with moving.  My bookshelf, however, is not organized in any logical way to the outside observer.  But for me, it's a chaos that makes sense.  Once everything is unpacked, I'm going to do a post on my shelves, pictures and all.  I'm a technological genius!
How do you organize your books?

1 comment:

  1. My books are all alphabetized by author :) & I have a separate shelf for my smaller books, also alphabetized. lol

    ReplyDelete