May 23, 2011

Shakespeare got to get paid...

Here is the great debate; I am assigning independent reading to my juniors in Multicultural Literature because on Friday the seniors leave and I have 3 weeks left with the rest of them.  That means in two classes I will have 6 students, 3 in each.  This also means that they either have to read a book I have read, or I have to read the book they are reading because they will be required to do a variety of activities regarding the book.  Now, I know I set my list in October, but I think I may have to be willing to change or add books if I have to read something new in order to keep up with my students.

In other news, I am nearing the end of The Handmaid’s Tale, 5 months after I started it.  Sheesh.  This weekend is Memorial Day weekend, and since I should be completely caught up on grading since my last day with seniors is Friday, I’m hoping to spend most of the weekend relaxing and reading down the shore.  Well, if the weather holds, that is.  If so, I should be able to completely finish Handmaid and possibly Memoirs of a Geisha.  If I can do that, I feel like I’m on a better track to accomplishing the goal I set out to accomplish.  And if I plan on reading Atlas Shrugged on the cruise this summer, I’m sure my cousin, Jennifer, will keep on me because apparently she just loves that novel.  Peer pressure is a strong suggestor.

I am looking forward to the selections my students make for their independent reading.  I’m using this as a time for them to pick something that interests them, because these kids just don’t find reading enjoyable.  And why should they?  Our world is so instantaneous and attention grabbing and image image image, a book doesn’t hold the same weight it did before technology advanced so much.  Hopefully they will pick something enjoyable and maybe, just maybe, read something else when they are finished.  A girl can dream, no? 

Side note: my shirt for today?  “Shakespeare got to get paid, son.”  My classes response? “You would, Ms. Beck.  You would.” And they are right.  I would.

I will miss some of those little bastards, really, I will.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll even bring you my marked-up copy...although I'm not sure it would survive the trip, being paperback and read so many times already.
    Cousin Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shirt anecdote makes me think of a book I read last Summer (yeah, I know, you need yet another recommendation...) called "My Name Is Will" by Jess Winfield. You should read it when you have time. Or definitely suggest it to your kiddies!

    ReplyDelete